Birth name Lee, Donghae
Born October 15, 1986 (1986-10-15) (age 23)
Mokpo, Jeollanam, South Korea
Origin Seoul, South Korea
Genres Pop, dance, R&B
Occupations Singer, dancer, rapper, actor
Instruments Piano, guitar
Years active 2005–present
Labels SM Entertainment
Associated acts SM Town, Super Junior, Super Junior-M
Revised Romanization I Donghae
McCune–Reischauer I Tonghae
Lee Dong-hae (born October 15, 1986), better known mononymously as Donghae , is a Korean pop singer and occasional actor. He is one of four lead dancers of boy band Super Junior and is part of its subgroup, Super Junior-M. Donghae is also one of the first four Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps.
Donghae was born in Mokpo, Jeollanam on October 15, 1986. Donghae initially had a dream to become an athlete, but under the influence of his father, who had a wish to become a singer, Donghae decided to train himself to become a singer. In 2001, Donghae successfully signed a contract with SM Entertainment soon after he jointly won the Best Outward Appearance award with future band mate Sungmin on the company’s third annual SM Youth Best Contest. Under SM Entertainment, Donghae was put in singing, dancing, and acting lessons that same year. He was then recruited into a five-member boy band Smile, with future band mate Leeteuk, but the idea was soon dropped. In 2004, Donghae was put into another boy band and formed Super Junior with eleven other trainees. The group later became known as Super Junior 05, the presumed first generation of the rotational music group, Super Junior. Several days before the group debuted, Donghae made a brief appearance in November 2005 at SBS’s Shin Dong-yup’s There Is There Isn’t panel.
See also: Super Junior’s musical career
Super Junior 05 officially debuted on November 6, 2005 on SBS’s music program Popular Songs, performing their first single, “TWINS (Knock Out)”. Their debut performance attracted over 500 fans and also garnered oversea viewers from both China and Japan. A full studio album was released a month later, which debuted at #3 on the monthly MIAK K-pop album charts. In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next Super Junior generation. However, plans changed when the company added in a thirteenth member, Kyuhyun, and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. The group dropped the suffix “05” and became officially credited as Super Junior. The re-polished group hit big after they released their first CD single “U” the following summer, which became Super Junior’s most successful single in the music charts until the release of “Sorry, Sorry” in March 2009. In late 2007, Donghae was put into Super Junior-M, the Chinese subgroup version of Super Junior. Super Junior-M is the first international music group in the Chinese music industry to have members of both Chinese and Korean descent, and brought an influence in the mainland music industry to produce multi-national music groups. Super Junior-M debuted in China on April 8, 2008 at the 8th Annual Music Chart Awards with the release of their first single music video, “U”. The subgroup released their first Chinese-language studio album, Me on May 2, 2008 to critical success. The album debuted #1 on many of China’s and Thailand’s music charts and Taiwan’s G-music combo charts as #2.
Donghae made his acting debut in Super Junior’s horror documentary Mystery 6, broadcasted in early 2006. The documentary surrounds Donghae and his peculiar ability to see and feel ghosts. In August 2006, Donghae played the role of a human turned cyborg in the Korean version of BoA’s music video drama, “Key of Heart,” his first lead appearance in a music video. Donghae’s official debut as an actor was in July 2007, with the release of Super Junior’s debut film, Attack on the Pin-Up Boys. Donghae stars as a class mate and close friend of Kim Kibum, a high school student who investigates on a mysterious attack on boys in various high schools in town.
In late 2007 Donghae featured in Girls’ Generation’s “Kissing You” music video, and in early 2009, in Ariel Lin’s “Firefly” MV along with band mate Siwon.
Also, he and Kyuhyun appeared and sang for facial wash product commercial “Happy Bubble” with actress Han Ji Min. A full music video was released on August 19, 2009.
He played Zhang Li Yin’s love interest on her music video, 晴天雨天 (Moving On). A full music video was released on October 19, 2009.
Donghae is currently a student at Myongji University. He has an older brother named Lee Donghwa and has a pet dog named Bada. He has 2 nicknames Fishy (since his name means East Sea) and Pinocchio (given by Heechul). His blood type is A. He loves to watch movies, especially foreign movies. He also loves kids and puppies. His height is 175 cm, and his weight is 62 kg.
Year Title Role Other notes
2007 Attack on the Pin-Up Boys
꽃미남 연쇄 테러 사건 himself limited release in South Korea
Year Title Role Network Other notes
2009 Stage of Youth
青春舞台 himself CCTV2 Guest star (Ep. 12)
2007-08 Explorers of the Human Body
인체탐험대 himself SBS Regular (All episodes)
Music video appearances
* 2006: “Key of Heart” (Korean Version) – BoA
* 2008: “Kissing You” – Girls’ Generation
* 2009: “Fireflies” – Ariel Lin
* 2009: “Happy Bubble” – Donghae, Kyuhyun and Han Ji-min
* 2009: “Moving On” – Zhang Liyin
Dong Hae’s 100 question & answer
1. Name: Pinocchio (his nickname given by Hee Chul)
2. Age: 22
3. Birthday: 1986.10.15
5. School: Harry Potter School~
6. Height: I’m like third high C on the keyboard
7. Blood type: A
8. Religion: Below God’s sky . . .
9. Hobbies: To listen to Cinderella’s ( Hee Chul ) gossip
10. Personality: I’m lovable
11. When you’re the happiest: When I write in my diary
12. Your biggest complaint currently: No computer at home
13. What you wear when you sleep: Pajamas are the best!
14. A hairstyle you like on the opposite gender: Silky hair
15. Ideal girl: It could be you who’s reading this right now
16. Habits: Whenever I think of you (music note)
17. Favorite fruit: Tangerine, pear, strawberry, kiwi – they’re the best
18. Favorite vegetable: Carrot!!
19. Guy celebrities you think are good looking: Cinderella, Snow White.
20. Girl celebrities you think are pretty: Song Hye Gyo !
21. A treasured possession: Polaris
22. Numbers you like: 3, 6, 9
23. Things that stress you: I want to see my big brother (DongHwa hyung).
24. My bad qualities: The fact that I can’t be a citizen on the planet BangWheeDaeHuLweh
25. Your mood right now: Zzang!!
26. What you want to do right now: I want to see Ki Bum but he’s not coming
27. A kid you like: A kid that’s like a kid
28. Food you like: Chicken DoRiTang
29. Food you don’t like: Anything sweet
30. Shoe size: 270
31. Drinking capacity: Beer is always N O ! !
32. Cigarette: Smoking is also always N O ! !
33. A movie that made you sad: Whatever others say is sad . . . is sad
34. A childhood dream: Even if I run into a huge car, I never get hurt.
35. Motto: Let’s not get scorn from others!
36. Bedtime: Whenever I want to sleep!
37. Your future hope: To conquest America
38. Do you think you’re the type that laughs easily: I laugh easily inside hah
39. Something you cook well: Ramyun, just something strange. Do you want to eat?
40. Where do you live right now?: somewhere in Korea
41. An event that remains in your memory: From fifth grade to junior high
42. What you say often: Let’s go see a movie, I missed you, you live inside of me!
43. Have you ever gone out of country: NO!
44. First kiss: When are you going to kiss me??
45. If you did, where: Me??
46. When you see a girl, where do you look first: Pupils
58. If you suddenly got million won: To my parents…
59. A drama that you had fun watching?: Dramas are my sole joy in life!
60. A movie you had fun watching?: Movies are my sole life!
61. Eyesight: 2.0
62. Destressing methods: Shopping!
63. What you want to learn: Everything in the world.
64. What you want to do: I want to meet Justin!
65. If your girlfriend was dying: I would do whatever it takes to rescue her!
66. When do you feel like you hate yourself: Even when I hate myself, I still like myself
67. About relationships before marriage: I don’t care
68. Lifestyle principle: There is nothing in life that comes looking for you.
69. Weather that I like: A weather that is good for movie-watching
70. When is your TV time: When dramas are on.
71. Precious friends: My hyung (DongHwa)
72. Life is?: Happiness
73. Favorite drink: Milk
75: Favorite cookies: PokaPoka~chip
76. If you break up with your girlfriend, you would go: to sing
77. A teacher you respect: My teacher is my father!
78. Introduce your family: Grandpa, Grandma, Dad, Mom, Hyung, Me
79. Happiness is: The fact that I can do something right now!
80. A birthday present that you remember most: Just the fact that I’m healthy
81. Favorite animal: Maltese, Yorkie
82. Favorite plant: Flower
83. Favorite season: Spring, summer, fall, winter, I wish the season would change once everyday
84. About antis: good bye
85. If you had to choose between love or friendship: Both~(I can do it^^)
86. If the world was to come to an end tomorrow: I want to spend it with my family
87. Singing skills: Nice good
88. Dancing skills: Nice zzang
89. Your theme song: If you like it I will do as much as you want
91. Favorite fruit tree: I like them all
92. What do you feel about relationships where a girl is older than the boy: If they like it, well…be happy!
93. If you were to die tomorrow: What…with my family again
94. When do you want to marry: When I see Polaris
95. Yourself 20 years later: I love you
96. A country you want to see the most: America, Australia, Canada!
97. E-mail: Um…I have 4
98. What you want to say to those who read this: Do you want to fall into Dong Hae’s smile?
99. If you had a trait you want to fix: Where?
100. Last word: Is Planet HuLwehShiMan really unconquerable??